[LSST|dm-astrometry #6] Re: LSST Astrometry and Photometry

Frank Masci fmasci at ipac.caltech.edu
Thu Apr 23 11:58:41 PDT 2015

Hi Pierre,

I think what Robert was referring to is that the Chebyshev basis is relatively immune to “Runge’s phenomenon” - the oscillatory behavior one gets when interpolating between points with regular polynomials, particularly when the order is high. I suppose it comes down whichever gives the least bias and variance when applied in a global sense.

Regards, Frank