[lsst-dm-stack-users] In response to Mario's request

Dave Monet dgm at nofs.navy.mil
Mon Oct 22 09:34:39 PDT 2012

Here is a brief discussion of how far I have gotten
trying to use the LSST DM Stack on recently arrived
DECam images.

1) I followed the instructions on the Wiki back in
    September about how to download (from the tarball)
    and install the DM Stack.  I got as far as
    the final line, but this ended up taking more than
    a week before I gave up on it.  I followed Mario's
    suggestion to do
      eups distrib install -t Summer2012 obs_lsstSim
      eups distrib install -t Summer2012 obs_sdss
    So far as I can tell, this worked.

2) I installed git() from some free download site.
    It needed something else, and it must be installed
    without root privilege or putting it in obvious
    places /usr anything.  So far as I know, the installation
    was successful.  I can to the following:
       lethe>  git --version
       git version 1.7.12.GIT

3) I found viz12-lupton-tutorial.pdf based on Andy's
    suggestion that there was a Hands On session using
    the DM stack at the Seattle LSST-Gaia meeting.  I
    got as far as page 4.  In response to
       import utils
    I get a failure that this particular version of
    utils.py is not in my path.  However, it was
    possible to proceed with the next few lines
    without these functions so long as I was willing
    to type.  I didn't have the Hands On files, but
    I have various other local files.  I could do
       import lsst.afw.image as afwImage
       import lsst.afw.display.ds9 as ds9
       im = afwImage,ImageF(some complete path)
    So I think that some of the DM stack is present
    and mostly working.

4) I moved on to other things, but had a desire to
    return to the DM Stack to process the DECam images.
    Robert Lupton and Paul Price pitched in, but Paul
    sent me the appended note.  To me, this reads as if
    it were in a dialect of regional Martian that I simply
    do not understand.  I asked Paul for clarification, but
    he was too busy.  I have no idea what "tickets" are about
    and how to update based on these.  I have no idea how
    to proceed with the git() to get the obs_decam package.

This just underlines the complete discontinuity between those
who work with the DM Stack on a daily basis, and folks like
me who need serious hand-holding.  Honest.  I would like to
be a Team Player, and I would like to use utilities that are
known to work and have support, but I just have no idea how
to proceed.

Pointers, examples, or clues would be gratefully accepted.
-Dave