[lsst-dm-stack-users] Using Masks and MaskedImages

Heather Kelly heather625 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 5 09:13:00 PDT 2013

Hi,

For the Sensor Test Analysis we were looking to start using the DMstack's
implementation of Masks and MaskImages.  I'll admit to being rather vague
on how to best implement the creation of a new Mask and wonder if you might
have examples or suggestions.  I guess Mask::setMaskPlaneValues is the way
to go and then output it to FITS.  Would it be possible to see an example
FITS file with an output Mask planes?  For sensor testing, I'm imagining
one extension for each segment (amp) which contains a Mask.

Are there planned standard definitions for masks in LSST?  I see this which
suggests we can define the planes however we like:
http://lsst-web.ncsa.illinois.edu/doxygen/x_betaDoxyDoc/afw_mask_planes.html

In the context of the Sensor tests - I'm not sure we would use the default
set of Mask planes - is it possible via removeMaskPlane (and deemed ok) to
modify the existing set - or we should just tack on our additional planes..
 bright, dark, etc? somehow it seems easier to just tack on..

Info gathering for now!

Take care,
Heather