[lsst-dm-stack-users] Pipeline and sensor routines

Chris Walter chris.walter at duke.edu
Wed Aug 7 14:41:37 PDT 2013

Hi Robert and Kian Tat,

Thanks for the answers.

>> I think I now have an OK understanding of how the abstract base CmdLineTask and processImage classes etc are put together to make a commandline task like processCcd etc.
>
> Please write it down!

OK, I am planning on writing something down after I have a bit more experience and understand things somewhat better on a practical level.  I am still unclear on how option passing and polices/butlers/IDs work.  I haven't had time to try to read that code yet.

> All that stuff is dead.  The Task approach is intended to be less abstract and more easily reused.

OK. I understand.

>> - Before I write them myself I wanted to check that something like this doesn't already exist: I would like routines to determine, based on the pixel I am in etc, where I am physically located on a sensor chip (in mm or something in the reference frame of the sensor) along with constants describing the dimensions of the chip and possibly routines determining offsets from physical characteristics (like an edge).  Does anything like this already exist for the different camera descriptions?
>
> Those exist, via cameraGeom.  An Exposure has a pointer to a Detector which knows where it is in the camera.  If you have specific questions please ask, but e.g.

OK, thanks.  That sounds like what I need. I will look at this when I get to that point and write again if I can't figure it out.

-Chris