[lsst-dm-stack-users] LsstSimMapper questions

John Peterson peters11 at purdue.edu
Tue Aug 27 13:14:01 PDT 2013

KT-

> Is the value of VERSION literally "none" or is it just empty?  I'm not
> sure that an empty value is legal FITS.  In any case, I'd be tempted to
> say the fault is PhoSim's on this one.

it says "none" and it isn't blank.  the reason this occurs is that Chris must have installed it from the tarballs available through the web.

if you install it from the git repository, then the version becomes the git log tag.  and the branch keyword describes the tag as in something like:

VERSION = '40ab0aebcde5c8ab3c0d9aa1f55869d2149b128f'
BRANCH  = 'v3.3.2-22-g40ab0ae'

however, if you install phosim from the tar ball, then there is no such thing as a git log tag or any way to reconstruct it.  so it simply prints none.  to allow for some provenance, we simply made the branch keyword have the directory name which has to have the tagged version number if you got it from the tarball, as in something like:

VERSION = 'none    '
BRANCH  = '/Users/peters11/phosim_demo/phosim-3.3.2'

anyways, that is the logic, even if its confusing.  it does allow us to know what version of phosim was used, regardless of where you got it.

the particular line of code that said version < 16952 should be removed anyways, because that version number is from the days when we were all using svn which won't even work anymore.

if DM code really needs to use this keyword, i'd be happy to discuss what we should do with this further (although not really sure why you'd need this).

john