[lsst-dm-stack-users] ANN: Summer 2013 Code Release

Mario Juric mjuric at lsst.org
Thu Nov 28 12:12:21 PST 2013

[note: I'm replying to the list -- the hope is that these threads will
be useful to someone else with similar problems. Please send all replies
to the list.]

On 11/28/13 11:55 , Dave Monet wrote:
>   File "/home/dgm/dm/Linux64/external/numpy/1.8.0+1/lib/python/numpy/linalg/linalg.py", line 29, in <module>
>     from numpy.linalg import lapack_lite, _umath_linalg
> ImportError: libblas.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

It looks like you don't have ATLAS ("Automatically Tuned Linear Algebra
Software") installed. The RHEL6 binaries are built against ATLAS as the
BLAS library (this is new with numpy 1.8.0; I'll update the instructions
& lsst-distrib script to reflect it).

Fixing this would be as easy as running 'yum install atlas' as root, but
given you don't have root permissions you'd need to install them from
source:

	http://math-atlas.sourceforge.net/

Also, make sure they're on your LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

PS: Note that now we're getting into hacking-around-the-binaries
territory that's really not recommended unless you know do these sorts
of things as a hobby... If there are more problems after this, you may
want to build from source.

Cheers,
--
Mario Juric,
Data Mgmt. Project Scientist, Large Synoptic Survey Telescope