[lsst-dm-stack-users] problem installing sconsUtils on ubuntu 12.04

Kian-Tat Lim ktl at slac.stanford.edu
Thu Aug 21 17:41:38 PDT 2014

Adrian,

> I think I finally understand something about what’s going on with the LSST DM stack install at Argonne. On some of the networks here I end up with an uncompressed sconsUtils-8.0.0.0.eupspkg file after download.

	Wow.  Are you forced to use an HTTP proxy on the ArgonneA-Auth
network?  Do things change if you use this command?

curl -k -O https://sw.lsstcorp.org/eupspkg/products/sconsUtils-8.0.0.0.eupspkg

If so, we can move a little faster at making the "-k" unnecessary.

	If your network is not end-to-end transparent, it's not clear
that patching the installer for this particular case wouldn't just lead
to worse behavior later (e.g. when we start checking checksums or
signatures).

Kian-Tat Lim, LSST Data Management, ktl at slac.stanford.edu