[lsst-dm-stack-users] A test development version of Winter'14 stack

Michael Wood-Vasey wmwv at pitt.edu
Wed Feb 19 08:22:12 PST 2014

Hi Chris,

OK, that makes sense, but I then don't understand why one has to install Anaconda Python at all?  The instructions in Mario's email stated

"""
# If you don't have python >= 2.7 with numpy >= 1.5.1 and
# matplotlib >=1.2.0, use Anaconda python distribution by installing
# it manually, or use the LSST-packaged one.
eups distrib install anaconda
setup anaconda
"""

But then "eups distrib install lsst" installs matplotlib, numpy, pyfits and other things anyway so why does the above matter?

The log file claims that it's building matplotlib and numpy.

  [  7/71 ]  matplotlib 1.2.0 (from source)                             done.
  [ 18/71 ]  numpy 1.5.1+61f754d329 (from source)                       done.

Specifically how does the LSST stack choose which Python when building?  Does it just look for 'python' in the path?  Is it not actually building these and just finding them in system?

[And sorry if the above question has an obvious answer that was answered in the preeceding long thread about Python installations.]

Thanks,
Michael