[lsst-dm-stack-users] This just isn't my day

Mario Juric mjuric at lsst.org
Fri Jun 27 15:46:23 PDT 2014

On 6/27/14, 15:05 , Chris Walter wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> This all seems pretty painful.  Is there anyway to setup a Scientific
> Linux image running in a virtual machine that someone without root
> access on a restricted host could run in user space?

I think Peter Nugent is working on building these (or has it on his TODO
list). It will definitely ease deployments at NERSC (and will be useful
elsewhere as well).

> That would
> solve these problems right?

Not sure -- most people who don't have root can't install VMs or
containers either.

> I have no idea if that would also be
> against the rules for Dave but I imagine it might even be generally
> useful since you could even preinstall the stack.

One word: DoD (ok, it's an abbreviation :)).

Cheers,
--
Mario Juric,
Data Mgmt. Project Scientist, Large Synoptic Survey Telescope