[LSST|dm-users 535] Re: Install error in eups with Python 3

Christoph Deil deil.christoph at googlemail.com
Sun Jan 4 17:27:38 PST 2015

> On 31 Dec 2014, at 00:56, Mario Juric <mjuric at astro.washington.edu> wrote:
>
> On 12/30/14 14:59 , John Swinbank wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>>> On 30 Dec 2014, at 21:31, Christoph Deil <Deil.Christoph at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Now the ran into this error … the doxygen build fails with a compiler error:
>>> https://gist.github.com/cdeil/3070715137ac799fcd41
>>>
>>> I do have doxygen 1.8.7 from Macports at /opt/local/bin/doxygen and on my PATH, is it really useful to build a separate one from source?
>>
>> Building Doxygen on a Mac requires that you use clang. At a guess, Macports has installed an /opt/local/bin/c++ which points to g++-mp-4.9 or similar. The Doxygen build scripts (those provided by Doxygen, not LSST) simply invoke “c++”; on your system, they’ll get GCC, and the build will fail.
>>

> This is just a general comment: macports is notorious for installing
> tools that shadow OS X defaults (the compiler being one of them). This
> makes it very difficult to write code that builds both natively on OS X,
> and on MacPorts. In effect, you're trying to build code on a system
> claiming to be OS X, but whose environment is an odd mix of BSD and GNU
> tools that MacPorts brought in.
>
> In this sense, homebrew is a _much_ more pleasant (and safer) to work
> with. They're fairly careful not to shadow built-in tools, and avoid
> installing software (e.g., libraries) for which native OS X version exist.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Mario Juric,
> UW Astronomy Faculty | UW eScience | LSST DM Project Scientist
> Web : http://research.majuric.org      Phone : +1 609 933 1033

After running info a few more issues on my Macbook (with and without Macports) I decided to try this Linux Docker container instead and it worked:
https://github.com/hepsw/docks/tree/master/cvmfs-lsst <https://github.com/hepsw/docks/tree/master/cvmfs-lsst>

Given the number of dependencies of the LSST software, it would be great if you could distribute a container and / or virtual machine with the latest stable version (and mention it at http://dm.lsst.org/#code <http://dm.lsst.org/#code>).
It’s a bit frustrating if I have to wait for hours while boost et al. build from source before I can run `bin/demo.sh --small`.

Anyways, thanks for the advice with the build errors on Mac!

Christoph