[LSST|dm-users 652] Re: List/Description of Available Algorithm Names

Paul Price price at astro.princeton.edu
Tue May 12 21:54:01 PDT 2015

On May 13, 2015, at 12:06 AM, Will Dawson wrote:
> — Is there any plan to document the available measurement algorithms, what they are based on, and how to instantiate them?

For the first part, try the (now slightly out-of-date) description of the HSC pipeline (which is based on the LSST stack), which includes descriptions and references for the measurement algorithms: https://github.com/HyperSuprime-Cam/hscDocs/blob/master/description.tex .  There are some significant differences between the two pipelines at the moment (especially in the area of the measurement framework), but nevertheless I hope this will be useful.

> — Is it helpful having users let you know what types of documentation they would like?

Yes, yes, a million times yes, and thank you!  Developers suffer from being too close to and familiar with the code.  We forget what it's like to come to everything with a blank slate, and inevitably make assumptions about things non-developers don't know.  It is good for us to be shackled to reality.

Cheers,

Paul.