[LSST|dm-astrometry #8] Re: update on the development of a simultaneous astrometry package

Jim Bosch jbosch at astro.princeton.edu
Tue May 19 13:50:29 PDT 2015

I think this looks like a great start, and I do think it'd be a good idea
to start integrating it into the stack as soon as possible (though might
depend on how much DM effort is available to help with that).  I mostly
agree with your ideas for other "next steps" - though I don't think proper
motion/parallax needs to be a top priority, and I do wonder how much work
it'd be to get better outlier rejection (would we have to write our own
custom low-rank Cholesky update?)

I imagine there will eventually be a lot of modification to what your
classes look like now in order to integrate them with existing LSST classes
with overlapping or related functionality.  But it might make the most
sense to just ignore most of that for now and just move this into a new
LSST package immediately, write some adapters to make it accept inputs from
the rest of the LSST pipeline, and then integrate those individual classes
one at a time later.

Jim