[lsst-dm-stack-users] Binary Distributions of DM Stack Available

Mario Juric mjuric at lsst.org
Sat Dec 22 19:50:47 PST 2012

On 12/22/12 7:15 , Mario Juric wrote:
> On 12/22/12 5:12 , Dave Monet wrote:
>>
>> I think that the reason for my current failure is your
>> instruction to use "sudo".  Nope!  Not me on any Government
>> machine that I know about.  Actually, I am startled that
>> in this era of advanced IT security that you and others are
>> allowed root privilege on your machines.

...[snip]...

> PS: It's not easy to make a simple distribution mechanism that will work
> on a locked-down DoD machine. But we'll come up with something...

We talked this morning and *did* come up with something. Here's a
summary of the workaround in case someone encounters a similar problem:

Basically, since DoD dislikes rsync, but allows SSH, I opened an account
for Dave on our distribution machine. Next, he used an undocumented
feature of lsst-distrib that lets one change the source URL, and another
one that turns off prerequisite checks. So after he ran:

    export CHECK_PREREQ=0
    export
DISTRIB_URL="monet at moya.dev.lsstcorp.org:/var/www/html/dmstack/binaries/"
    export LSST_HOME=/home/dgm/dm/newdm
    bash lsst-distrib install

the install succeeded, and all was well. An early Festivus miracle, and
one less grievance to air! :).

Happy holidays everyone (signing off for a few days),
--
Mario Juric,
Data Mgmt. Project Scientist, Large Synoptic Survey Telescope