[lsst-dm-stack-users] Binary Distributions of DM Stack Available

Mario Juric mjuric at lsst.org
Sat Dec 22 06:15:02 PST 2012

On 12/22/12 5:12 , Dave Monet wrote:

> I think that the reason for my current failure is your
> instruction to use "sudo".  Nope!  Not me on any Government
> machine that I know about.  Actually, I am startled that
> in this era of advanced IT security that you and others are
> allowed root privilege on your machines.

Hi Dave,
	We've targeted this largely for people who use their laptops or
personal desktops for work/development, OR for their system
administrators who do have root privileges. A significant number of
folks (all?) at the workshop at SLAC appeared to fall into this category.

	For those in your position, you could try using the (experimental)
"install to alternate directory" feature. For example, the line:

	env LSST_HOME=$HOME/dmstack bash lsst-distrib install

will install to $HOME/dmstack. Assuming all prerequisite system packages
are installed, this doesn't require sudo.

However, judging by the output you pasted below, this won't work as your
sysadmins have blocked outgoing connections to 'rsync' port (873/tcp).
Could you ask them to unblock it? Otherwise, you can install from source
using the `eups distrib install` method from the wiki. If I recall
correctly, it did work in the end the last time you tried it?

PS: It's not easy to make a simple distribution mechanism that will work
on a locked-down DoD machine. But we'll come up with something...

Cheers,
-- Mario

--
Mario Juric,
Data Mgmt. Project Scientist, Large Synoptic Survey Telescope