[lsst-dm-stack-users] A few Lessons Learned

Paul Price price at astro.princeton.edu
Sat Nov 3 19:18:18 PDT 2012

Hi Scott.

Thanks for passing this on.  I have some answers below which I hope will allow 2 of the 3 to proceed.

>  Attempt to install on FermiLinux5 ended up with message
>
> incompatible /usr/lib/libuuis.so

Do you mean libuuid.so?  If so, I believe this is only required for the LSST execution middleware, which means that if you attempt to install "pipe_tasks" instead of "lsstactive" then you should be able to install the main science part of the stack.  I don't think you'll be missing much because the LSST execution middleware is fairly LSST-specific.

No, I believe you're hitting a known problem (astrometry.net is polluting the build environment).  The solution is to first install numpy and then install the rest of the stack.  Please see http://dev.lsstcorp.org/trac/wiki/Installing/Summer2012#Numpymayfailtobuild

Mac OSX versions earlier than 10.7 are not supported because clang had not developed sufficiently.  This is documented in the table at http://dev.lsstcorp.org/trac/wiki/Installing/Summer2012#Prerequisites

> $eups distrib install rhel5_gcc44 4.4
>
> need gcc44-c++

Do you mean that the "rhel5_gcc44" doesn't install gcc44-c++?  In that case, we could fix that.  Or I could try and put something independent together so you can "eups distrib install gcc 4.6.2".

> $ eups distrib install --nolocks -t Summer2012 lsstactive
>
> This failed. LSST needs a different version of the uuid library. The management-level question we should ask is how do we find out which version of the uuid library they require? A refinement to the process would be to have the build script itself tell you what it wants -- as it did for the compilers. A further refinement would be to have a simple script run an inspect your path and libraries to sniff out what all you have and compare it to what you need.

As explained above, this should not prevent installation of the science part of the stack.

Please do forward on any further problems installing or using the stack.

Cheers,

Paul.