[lsst-dm-stack-users] Monet vs. git()

Dave Monet dgm at nofs.navy.mil
Mon Oct 22 11:33:15 PDT 2012

Paul has clarified my obvious problem with git().  It
requires Port 9418 to be opened on our firewall.  Opening
a port on a DoD firewall is one of the most difficult
things to do, and it certainly does not happen quickly.

git() is in DADMS which means that the System at least
knows about it.  It does not have blanket approval.
I talked to our IT/IA guy, and his opinion was that
it ought to be possible to get permission to run git()
at an unprivileged level, but that a formal request
for git() and for the LSST DM Stack needs to be
prepared and forwarded to DISA or whoever it is that
does this sort of approval.  Usage of open source
software on a Linux box is not a trivial approval.

Getting permission to run git() does not necessarily
get permission to open the port.  That is yet another
process and would be totally impossible except for the
restriction to use it to a single IP address.

It is really unfortunate that LSST chooses to use
tools such as git() that require this level of approval
to use on Government machines.  It is particularly
unfortunate about the need to open a port for git().

I just have to ask.  Is there ANY other way to keep
my version of the LSST software stack reasonably current
without using git()?  Does git() offer a mechanism where
I can use my laptop at home which is not behind a DoD
firewall to get whatever upgrades are needed, and then
to scribble these on a CD or DVD which can be sniffed
and then mounted on my machine at work?

Sorry.  Creative thoughts would be appreciated.
-Dave