[lsst-dm-stack-users] Building on MacOS 10.9

Paul Price price at astro.princeton.edu
Thu Dec 5 15:40:29 PST 2013

I've managed to build the LSST stack on MacOS 10.9.  It's a bit complicated because a variety of things need to be special-cased.

Big thanks to Stephen Pietrowicz for lending me a MacOS 10.9 machine and administering it for me.

1. Before anything else, put in your ~/.eups/manifest.remap file:

boost:1.51.0+4 1.55.0+1
swig:2.0.4+3 patched
sconsUtils BREAK

2. Follow the instructions online for building on a Mac with clang (newinstall.sh, etc.).  It should fail on swig.

3. Do this in a work directory:

git clone git at github.com:PaulPrice/swig.git
cd swig
git checkout issues/73
./configure --prefix=/path/to/eups/DarwinX86/swig/patched/ --without-php4
make && make install
mkdir -p /path/to/eups/DarwinX86/swig/patched/ups/
cd ..
git clone git://git.lsstcorp.org/LSST/DMS/devenv/buildFiles.git
cp -r buildFiles/swig* /path/to/eups/DarwinX86/swig/patched/ups/
eups declare swig patched -r /path/to/eups/DarwinX86/swig/patched/

4. Continue the build process ("eups distrib install -t Summer2013 lsst_distrib").  It should fail on sconsUtils.

5. Do this in a work directory:

git clone git://git.lsstcorp.org/LSST/DMS/devenv/sconsUtils.git
cd sconsUtils
git checkout u/price/3076
setup -t v7_3 -r .
scons install declare

Note the version name it finds, and put that in the ~/.eups/manifest.remap file (instead of "BREAK").  If you can't find the version name, run "git describe --tags --always".

6. Continue the build process.  It will break on various packages, listed below along with the appropriate branch you should checkout, following the same steps as in step 5  As you build each, put it and the version name in the ~/.eups/manifest.remap file.

pex_policy master
afw u/price/3080
meas_algorithms u/price/3080
meas_astrom master
ip_diffim master

Here's what you do for each, in a work directory:

git clone git://git.lsstcorp.org/LSST/DMS/<PACKAGE>
cd <PACKAGE>
git checkout <BRANCH>
setup -t v7_3 -r .
scons install declare
<insert package and version in manifest.remap file>
eups disrib install -t Summer2013 lsst_distrib

Gradually, the outstanding tickets (#3076, #3080) will be reviewed and approved, and the fixes will find their way to the 'master' branch, and ultimately end up in the next release, which I hope will not require any intervention for building on MacOS 10.9.  You'll have to remember to clear out your manifest.remap file for the next release (or, preferably, put in "<package>:<old_version> <new_version>", but that requires noticing which version failed).

It's possible this description isn't complete, as it's based on my recollection.  Please let me know if there are any problems.

P.