[lsst-dm-stack-users] .eups directory

Robert Lupton the Good rhl at astro.princeton.edu
Fri Feb 15 13:25:07 PST 2013

> We have started to run analysis script jobs (using DMstack) within the SLAC Fermi pipeline.  These jobs are run under a special user account - where there may be more than one job running at a time.  Part of the setup includes sourcing loadLSST.sh and running setup for the bits that we're using such as afw.  There are some error messages appearing in the logs:
>
> Creating user data directory: /u/lt/lsstsim/.eups
> setup: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/u/lt/lsstsim/.eups'

That should be the home directory of the user running any eups command (e.g. setup) for the first time.  It's a bit odd that you can't write to it.  It's possible that the issue is trying to write a lock file.  The eups lock model is badly broken (yes, I should fix it)
but you can run
	--nolock
or add
	hooks.config.site.lockDirectoryBase = None
to the file ~/.eups/startup.py

Looking at the code the message is innocuous, but it would be better to just fix the permissions and create the directory.  Or you can set EUPS_USERDATA to point to e.g. /tmp/foo