[lsst-dm-stack-users] adding scipy to DMstack installation

Heather Kelly heather625 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 29 10:08:32 PDT 2013

On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 1:01 PM, Brett Viren <bv at bnl.gov> wrote:

> Hi Heather,
>
> Heather Kelly <heather625 at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > We decided to add scipy to our DMstack v6_1 install at SLAC..so after
> > source loadLSST.sh I did:
> > eups distrib install --nolocks scipy
>
> Why not instead exploit VirtualEnv for Python packages?
>
> -Brett.

Hi Brett,

Actually yes that would be great, if we were maintaining our own python to
use with the DMstack rather than just allowing the DMstack installation
process to pull in everything, including python and its associated modules.
 At least this is the way it goes on Redhat 6..where we don't necessarily
have python 2.7.x installed.  I suspect if we maintained our own python
installation we'd likely want to use VirtualEnv and just pull in whatever
modules like numpy etc that DMstack version X prefers and then we can add
in "extras" like scipy or ipython that DMstack doesn't actually require.
 I've just been shying away from maintaining a python version for lsst use
at SLAC..but perhaps now is the time.

Take care,
Heather