[lsst-dm-stack-users] adding a new module to the DMstack installed python

Mario Juric mjuric at lsst.org
Tue Nov 26 12:13:16 PST 2013

On 11/26/13 12:33 , Paul Price wrote:

> 3. Use "easy_install" or "pip" or "setup.py" to install module into
> some other dir on your PYTHONPATH.  Then it's always available no
> matter what python you're using, but you may have trouble if your
> system python and eups python aren't the same minor version (e.g., 2.6
> vs 2.7).
>
> 4. Manage the module as an eups package.  Install it into the proper
> place in the eups tree and give it a eups table file.  This allows
> versioning (unlike any of the above methods, unless you're using
> virtualenv or similar), and access for multiple people.

My guess is that option #3 is the least difficult, and option #4 is
long-term optimal. For #3, just make sure you don't install by accident
into Python's system modules directory (install someplace else, and add
it to PYTHONPATH).

PS: Note you can't use system python on RHEL's -- it's too old. RHEL is
the only distro right now where building our own Python is still
necessary (the stack requires 2.7, RHEL6 ships with 2.6).

Cheers,
--
Mario Juric,
Data Mgmt. Project Scientist, Large Synoptic Survey Telescope