[lsst-dm-stack-users] Security vs. Summer 2013

Dave Monet dgm at nofs.navy.mil
Wed Nov 27 13:46:41 PST 2013

Isn't it always the case?  The 3-sigma weirdo is the one
of the first to try things, and these efforts always happen
on or near a holiday.

Mea culpa.

So I tried the instructions with LSST_HOME set.  The first
    curl -O http://lsst-web.ncsa.illinois.edu/~lsstsw/lsst-distrib
seems to have worked, or at least it left
    lsst-distrib
in the directory.

In a flash of macho, I tried the second.
    bash lsst-distrib install
After a couple of minutes, I got a timeout from the rsync
trying to get stuff from moya.dev.lsstcorp.org.

A dim light went off in my brain that I had this issue the
last time I tried this task, and the end result was that
Mario gave me a login on moya.  I found the relevant e-mails,
and then modified the lsst-distrib script to have

URLBASE=${DISTRIB_URL="monet at moya.dev.lsstcorp.org:/var/www/html/dmstack/binaries/"}

As per last time, the next request was for my password on
moya, and to my great amazement it worked.  Well, sort of.
The next message was

bash lsst-distrib install
monet at moya.dev.lsstcorp.org's password:
Install version for which platform (destination: /home/dgm/dmdownload)?
    Available platforms: osx-10.7-x86_64 osx-10.8-x86_64 rhel-5-x86_64
rhel-6-x86_64 ubuntu-1204-x86_64
    Detected platform:   rhel-6-x86_64 (supported)
Enter platform, press ENTER to use 'rhel-6-x86_64', or CTRL-C to quit:

Missing prerequisites:  tk-devel libuuid-devel
As root, run:
     yum install  tk-devel libuuid-devel

So here we go again.  I cannot do anything "As root".

Happy T-day to all involved from a major turkey.
-Dave