[LSST|dm-users 518] Re: Fwd: Error installing meas_base during software install

Dominique Boutigny boutigny at in2p3.fr
Mon Dec 8 11:27:56 PST 2014

Hi Mike,

I am also using a Ubuntu 14.04 system and I am having the same problem
as you. So, what I am doing is to build the stack on another platform (I
use Scientic Linux / Redhat) and simply make a tar ball that I deploy on
my system. This is working very well, you only have to fix a couple of
things for eups.
Here is a copy of the recipe I put in the IN2P3 wiki :
http://lsst.in2p3.fr/wiki/index.php/Calcul (you can create an account
for yourself, it is not moderated).

Hope this helps

Dominique

PS : Fabio Hernandez at CC-IN2P3 is also working on a system to deploy
the LSST stack using CernVM-FS. This is very convenient. You can contact
him directly if you wish.

    Introduction

It is possible to replicate a working stack installation into another
directory structure or even on another computer without recompiling the
packages. Here is how to proceed, taking the example of the stack v9_2
installed at CC-IN2P3 :

cd /sps/lsst/Library/stack_v9_2
tar -cvzf stack.tar.gz *

cp stack.tar.gz some_directory (on the same or on another server)

tar -xvzf stack.tar.gz

At this stage we have the stack directory structure but in order to make
it work, we need to fix the following :

  * Cleanup any LSST or EUPS environment variable (it may be safer to
    start a completely new shell)
  * Change LSST_HOME in loadLSST.sh
  * Change EUPS_DIR and EUPS_PATH in eups/bin/setups.sh

Then one can now re-initialize the stack environment :

source loadLSST.sh

The eups database should now be ok.

    [modifier
    <http://lsst.in2p3.fr/wiki/index.php?title=Copier_/_d%C3%A9placer_le_stack_dans_une_arborescence_diff%C3%A9rente_o%C3%B9_sur_une_autre_machine&action=edit&section=2>]Caveats

      [modifier
      <http://lsst.in2p3.fr/wiki/index.php?title=Copier_/_d%C3%A9placer_le_stack_dans_une_arborescence_diff%C3%A9rente_o%C3%B9_sur_une_autre_machine&action=edit&section=3>]Fixing
      eups for some manually declared packages

If some packages have been manually declared to eups without specifying
a path relative to EUPS_PATH, one have to undeclare those packages in
order to re-declare them with the right path. For instance :

unsetup obs_cfht my_obs_cfht
eups undeclare obs_cfht my_obs_cfht
eups declare -r some_directory/my_packages/obs_cfht obs_cfht my_obs_cfht
setup obs_cfht my_obs_cfht

      [modifier
      <http://lsst.in2p3.fr/wiki/index.php?title=Copier_/_d%C3%A9placer_le_stack_dans_une_arborescence_diff%C3%A9rente_o%C3%B9_sur_une_autre_machine&action=edit&section=4>]Fixing
      ipython

If the stack release comes with the anaconda python distribution, the
firs line of the ipython wrap-up script should be fixed to point to the
right python path.

    [modifier
    <http://lsst.in2p3.fr/wiki/index.php?title=Copier_/_d%C3%A9placer_le_stack_dans_une_arborescence_diff%C3%A9rente_o%C3%B9_sur_une_autre_machine&action=edit&section=5>]Remark

This method is working to install the stack on Ubuntu 14.04 by copying
the stack from a SL6.5 distribution