[LSST|dm-users 532] Re: Install error in eups with Python 3

Christoph Deil Deil.Christoph at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 13:31:21 PST 2014

> On 30 Dec 2014, at 19:26, John Swinbank <swinbank at princeton.edu> wrote:
>

>> On 29 Dec 2014, at 20:03, John D. Swinbank <swinbank at Princeton.EDU> wrote:
>

>> As a longer term solution, I ran 2to3 on mksetup then added a “from __future__ import print_function”, and can now install EUPS with both Python 2.7 & 3.4. I can’t decide if that’s the right solution, or if it would be better to force the —with-python option to also apply to mksetup. Thoughts?
>
> I thought about this a little more, decided the latter was a simpler option, and filed DM-1730 on JIRA together with accompanying PR against EUPS. The fix is straightforward.
>
> Cheers,
>
> John

John,

thanks for fixing this!

I followed your advice and switched to Python 2 for now.

Now the ran into this error … the doxygen build fails with a compiler error:
https://gist.github.com/cdeil/3070715137ac799fcd41 <https://gist.github.com/cdeil/3070715137ac799fcd41>

I do have doxygen 1.8.7 from Macports at /opt/local/bin/doxygen and on my PATH, is it really useful to build a separate one from source?

Another issue I noticed is that it’s not possible to blow away the LSST software folder with rm -r … I think the reason is that I don’t have write permissions for the eups/python folder.
Can you change this so that I don’t have to fiddle with chmod or sudo?

$ rm -r eups
rm: eups/python/eups/__init__.py: Permission denied
$ ls -lh eups/
total 80
-rw-r--r--  1 deil  staff   1.2K Dec 29 23:01 README
-rw-r--r--  1 deil  staff    35K Dec 29 23:01 Release_Notes
dr-xr-xr-x  3 deil  staff   102B Dec 29 23:01 python
drwxr-xr-x  2 deil  staff    68B Dec 29 23:01 site
drwxr-xr-x  3 deil  staff   102B Dec 29 23:01 ups

Cheers,
Christoph