[LSST|dm-users 533] Re: Install error in eups with Python 3

John Swinbank swinbank at princeton.edu
Tue Dec 30 14:59:54 PST 2014

Hello,

> On 30 Dec 2014, at 21:31, Christoph Deil <Deil.Christoph at gmail.com> wrote:
> Now the ran into this error … the doxygen build fails with a compiler error:
> https://gist.github.com/cdeil/3070715137ac799fcd41
>
> I do have doxygen 1.8.7 from Macports at /opt/local/bin/doxygen and on my PATH, is it really useful to build a separate one from source?

Building Doxygen on a Mac requires that you use clang. At a guess, Macports has installed an /opt/local/bin/c++ which points to g++-mp-4.9 or similar. The Doxygen build scripts (those provided by Doxygen, not LSST) simply invoke “c++”; on your system, they’ll get GCC, and the build will fail.

The easy workaround is simply to remove the /opt/local/bin/c++ symlink, so that executing c++ will get you /usr/bin/c++ — Apple’s clang — instead. Beyond that, I think both the Doxygen and the Macports behaviour is unfortunate and should probably be addressed upstream.

> Another issue I noticed is that it’s not possible to blow away the LSST software folder with rm -r … I think the reason is that I don’t have write permissions for the eups/python folder.
> Can you change this so that I don’t have to fiddle with chmod or sudo?

This behaviour is intentional in order to avoid a race — see the discussion around <https://github.com/RobertLuptonTheGood/eups/pull/4#issuecomment-37256080>. I agree that it’s an annoyance, though.

Cheers,

John