[LSST|dm-users 534] Re: Install error in eups with Python 3

Mario Juric mjuric at astro.washington.edu
Tue Dec 30 15:56:43 PST 2014

On 12/30/14 14:59 , John Swinbank wrote:
> Hello,
>
>> On 30 Dec 2014, at 21:31, Christoph Deil <Deil.Christoph at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Now the ran into this error … the doxygen build fails with a compiler error:
>> https://gist.github.com/cdeil/3070715137ac799fcd41
>>
>> I do have doxygen 1.8.7 from Macports at /opt/local/bin/doxygen and on my PATH, is it really useful to build a separate one from source?
>
> Building Doxygen on a Mac requires that you use clang. At a guess, Macports has installed an /opt/local/bin/c++ which points to g++-mp-4.9 or similar. The Doxygen build scripts (those provided by Doxygen, not LSST) simply invoke “c++”; on your system, they’ll get GCC, and the build will fail.

This is just a general comment: macports is notorious for installing
tools that shadow OS X defaults (the compiler being one of them). This
makes it very difficult to write code that builds both natively on OS X,
and on MacPorts. In effect, you're trying to build code on a system
claiming to be OS X, but whose environment is an odd mix of BSD and GNU
tools that MacPorts brought in.

In this sense, homebrew is a _much_ more pleasant (and safer) to work
with. They're fairly careful not to shadow built-in tools, and avoid
installing software (e.g., libraries) for which native OS X version exist.

Cheers,
--
Mario Juric,
UW Astronomy Faculty | UW eScience | LSST DM Project Scientist