[lsst-dm-stack-users] Trying out the Anaconda python with a RHEL6 installation

Mario Juric mjuric at lsst.org
Sat Feb 1 22:37:25 PST 2014

On 1/31/14, 13:46 , Kian-Tat Lim wrote:
> Heather,
>
>> eups distrib: No source is available for package python system
>
> 	Hmm.
>
>> So it appears I'm now pointing at the DM python:
>>
>> [heather at ccs Winter2013-v6_2]$ which python
>> /opt/lsst/DMstack/Winter2013-v6_2/Linux64/external/python/2.7.6+1/bin/python
>
> 	Why did that even build?  I thought Mario had you trap things
> early enough that it shouldn't even exist.

I think the problem is that newinstall.sh builds python just to get
sconsUtils installed.

Heather, try the following: start from scratch. Make sure you have
anaconda in path. Follow the instructions, but after you download
newinstall.sh, edit it and change the $(uname) == Darwin test in:

========
# Mac-specific setup: mock python and gcc packages to satisfy dependencies;
# system python will be used. Note: gcc is not supported on OSX; use clang.
#
[ "$(uname)" == "Darwin" ] && {
    echo "Detected Mac OS X; will use system-provided python."
========

to $(uname) == Linux (so it will use system-provided python on Linux as
well). Then you don't need to manually do the manifest manipulation I
suggested in my original e-mail.

I think that may fix it.

--
Mario Juric,
Data Mgmt. Project Scientist, Large Synoptic Survey Telescope