[lsst-dm-stack-users] Trying out the Anaconda python with a RHEL6 installation

Heather Kelly heather at slac.stanford.edu
Thu Feb 6 07:41:36 PST 2014

On 2/2/2014 1:37 AM, Mario Juric wrote:
> On 1/31/14, 13:46 , Kian-Tat Lim wrote:
>> Heather,
>>
>>> eups distrib: No source is available for package python system
>> 	Hmm.
>>
>>> So it appears I'm now pointing at the DM python:
>>>
>>> [heather at ccs Winter2013-v6_2]$ which python
>>> /opt/lsst/DMstack/Winter2013-v6_2/Linux64/external/python/2.7.6+1/bin/python
>> 	Why did that even build?  I thought Mario had you trap things
>> early enough that it shouldn't even exist.
>>
> I think the problem is that newinstall.sh builds python just to get
> sconsUtils installed.
>
> Heather, try the following: start from scratch. Make sure you have
> anaconda in path. Follow the instructions, but after you download
> newinstall.sh, edit it and change the $(uname) == Darwin test in:
>
> ========
> # Mac-specific setup: mock python and gcc packages to satisfy dependencies;
> # system python will be used. Note: gcc is not supported on OSX; use clang.
> #
> [ "$(uname)" == "Darwin" ] && {
>     echo "Detected Mac OS X; will use system-provided python."
> ========
>
> to $(uname) == Linux (so it will use system-provided python on Linux as
> well). Then you don't need to manually do the manifest manipulation I
> suggested in my original e-mail.
>
> I think that may fix it.

Yes that seems to have done it! Now..a final complication...I'm still
using Winter2013 v6_2.  We use scipy.  I've installed anaconda 1.8.0
which includes scipy 0.13.0 and numpy 1.7.1.  I was thinking to install
scipy 0.13.0 via:
eups distrib install --nolocks scipy 0.13.0+1
However, when I do that..there is a dependency on numpy 1.8.0

Required product tcltk 8.5.12+1 is already installed; use --force to
reinstall
Required product sqlite 3.7.14+1 is already installed; use --force to
reinstall
Required product python system is already installed; use --force to
reinstall
Installing numpy 1.8.0+1 for generic...
Cannot guess version without .git directory or git.version file; version
will be set to "unknown"
Setting up environment (via ./eupssetups.sh)...
/astro/astronfs01/workarea/lsst/software/anaconda/1.8.0/bin/curl -L
http://sw.lsstcorp.org/pkgs/external/numpy/1.8.0/numpy-1.8.0.tar.gz >
numpy-1.8.0.tar.gz
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time
Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left
Speed
100 3691k  100 3691k    0     0  5904k      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--
5972k
numpy-1.8.0.tar.gz

Any suggestions?  I guess I could install numpy 1.8.0 and update the
installed scipy within anaconda.  Maybe I should get DMstack to use
numpy 1.8.0, though maybe I need to do a fresh installation so that
things are set  up correctly?

Take care,
Heather