[lsst-dm-stack-users] Trying out the Anaconda python with a RHEL6 installation

Chris Walter chris.walter at duke.edu
Fri Feb 14 11:49:34 PST 2014

Hi Mario,

> I tried this on a RHEL6 machine and it worked (it built and the unit
> tests passed). Try it out and let me know if it works for you. For the
> Mac, it's likely it will need modifications (e.g., replacing Linux with
> Darwin in all the right places).

So, FYI I tried it on my OSX 10.9 machine.  I made all the replacements from Linux to Darwin.  The script itself worked fine.

Then, it choked on this:

eups distrib install --nolocks -t Summer2013

But, I guess that is the issue of the outstanding bugs which complicate compiling on Mavericks.

BTW, I noticed one other item to watch out for while playing with this.

DM installs pyfits.  Pyfits isn't in the list of anaconda packages but after running the astropy test it seems to have installed it itself somehow:

neutrino-01:bin $ conda list | grep pyfits
pyfits                    3.1.2                     <pip>

I guess the <pip> notation I means it used pip to install something it thinks it needed.

I'm not sure exactly what it is doing, but here are some other packages it added to itself:

neutrino-01:bin $ conda list | grep pip
backports.ssl-match-hostname 3.4.0.2                   <pip>
beautifulsoup4            4.3.1                     <pip>
gevent-zeromq             0.2.2                     <pip>
pip                       1.5.2                    py27_0
pyfits                    3.1.2                     <pip>
python-dateutil           1.5                       <pip>
tables                    3.1.0                     <pip>
wsgiref                   0.1.2                     <pip>

-Chris