[lsst-dm-stack-users] Problems with "Processing a Single Image File"

Dick Shaw shaw at noao.edu
Fri Jun 13 14:02:25 PDT 2014

Hi Tim,

On Fri, 13 Jun 2014 19:30:40 +0000
  Tim Jenness <tjenness at cornell.edu> wrote:
> I'm working through the tutorials and have a couple of comments and one problem.

Thanks for working through the tutorials!

> On https://confluence.lsstcorp.org/display/LSWUG/Processing+a+Single+Image+File
> 1. $OBSFILE_BIN/processFile.py -h
>
> does generate the help text but it shouldn't really complete with an error should it?

There should be no error. I reported the bug and it was fixed for the next
release: see https://dev.lsstcorp.org/trac/ticket/3090

> 2. The example refers to fpC-004192-r4-0300.fits but in the demo tar ball
>the file is actually fpC-004192-r4-0300.fit[.gz]
>    Not sure if this is too minor a documentation issue to complain about the
>inconsistency but thought I would note it.

If memory serves, obs_file cannot read gzipped FITS files. If this is the
problem, it needs to be fixed. The pipelines (by virtue of using the butler)
can read gzipped files. So most all other examples in the tutorials will not
fail for this particular reason. ;-)

> 3. Running the example command it doesn't work for me:
>
> $ $OBSFILE_BIN/processFile.py fpC-004192-r4-0300.fits --output output
>--clobber-config -c gain=2 doVariance=True

As Robert noted, this one was just reported and has to do with a recent
upgrade to software (cameraGeom). Simon is aware of the problem and will
address it soon.

-Dick