[lsst-dm-stack-users] This just isn't my day

Kian-Tat Lim ktl at slac.stanford.edu
Fri Jun 27 15:45:52 PDT 2014

Chris,

> This all seems pretty painful.

	It's not supposed to be that painful, and it's much better than
it used to be :-).  We should probably have a tool to check system
prerequisites, which will remove one source of problems.

> Is there anyway to setup a Scientific Linux image running in a virtual
> machine that someone without root access on a restricted host could
> run in user space?

	Yes.  We have talked about a VM distribution of the stack in the
past.  But we can't go to a VM-*only* (or even container-only)
distribution, since we want to be able to integrate with users'
customized Python (and other) environments.  Since we must therefore
have a source distribution mechanism, the VM distribution mechanism has
been on hold until resources become available.

	As an intermediate step, we had a binary distribution mechanism.
But I think that fell by the wayside with the latest release.

	Everyone please ignore RHL's mention of manifest.remap.  We
would like to make use of that file a "ultra-power-user-only" thing.

Kian-Tat Lim, LSST Data Management, ktl at slac.stanford.edu