[lsst-dm-stack-users] Confusion over documentation

Kian-Tat Lim ktl at slac.stanford.edu
Fri Sep 19 12:54:21 PDT 2014

Srini,

> Its absolutely fine to follow what Confluence is doing for documentation but the Site Spaces might become unwieldy if all software projects ended up publishing their documentation with versions on the Site Space level.

	I think the flaw is having Site Spaces as a default view of the
system.  We should come up with a more useful filtered view, rather than
restricting the creation of Site Spaces.

> What I am suggesting is that Site Space level is called “LSST Software User Guide” and one could pages for versioning underneath because I am sure there will be other versions of the LSST Software User Guide that come along.

	The problem with doing this underneath the Space level, as I
said, is that pages have to have unique names within a space.  That
means that every page has to say, e.g. "Representation of a Camera
(v7.0)", which is not only ugly (and generally
URL-and-search-engine-unfriendly) but error-prone.

Kian-Tat Lim, LSST Data Management, ktl at slac.stanford.edu