[lsst-dm-stack-users] Feedback on preparing a relocatable binary distribution of the stack

Fabio Hernandez fabio at in2p3.fr
Thu Sep 25 05:41:27 PDT 2014

Hi Robert,

thanks for your feedback. I'm certainly interested in other people's ideas on how to make the stack easily relocatable: that would make my job easier.

Your idea of using conda to do the binary install is an interesting one and it would be really nice for end users for their personal installations. However, relocating Anaconda (and all the packages it installs in a typical installation) to make it sharable may not be that straight forward. My feeling is that reaching this goal would require more effort than my suggested modifications to the current scripts 'newinstall.sh' and EUPS' setups.sh.

Would the authors of newinstall.sh and EUPS' setups.sh agree to consider my proposed modifications? If so, I would clone the relevant repositories and submit some concrete pull requests for them to review and decide.

Cheers,

On 2014/09/24, at 16:12 , Robert Lupton the Good <rhl at astro.princeton.edu> wrote:

> Very interesting, I think that there are other people thinking about binary installers so maybe it'd be good to share ideas?
>
> For example, I have a fond hope that:
> 	1.  We could put an anaconda backend onto eups (I don't *think* that this would be hard...)
> 	2.  Use [ana]conda to do the binary install
> That way people would be able to freely move between a complete binary installation and the full power (and responsibility) of the environment we're using.
>
> In the short run I think a binary installer would be very useful, so I'm not trying to delay working solutions with a vision of Utopia.

Fabio Hernandez

CNRS – IN2P3 Computing Centre · Lyon (France)     ·     e-mail: fabio at in2p3.fr     ·     tel: +33 4 78 93 08 80