[lsst-dm-stack-users] Changes to make sub-images less clunky

Mario Juric mjuric at lsst.org
Wed Jan 30 09:27:23 PST 2013

On 1/29/13 18:22 , Heather Kelly wrote:

> So such updates would be available in the latest version of the v6_1 tag?

(note: CC-ing this to lsst-data as well, since there are some command
lines at the bottom of this e-mail that could be of use to DM devs)

Hi Heather,
	I don't know when this specific update landed (before or after we cut
v6_1), but generally, no -- v6_1 has been released and is now frozen to
maintain stability.

	We will release the next version (should be v6_2, I think), once the
middleware team returns from a trip (next ~week to 10 days or so). Once
we do, it'll then become available for building with 'eups distrib install'.

	Both v6_1 and v6_2 are 'interim' (beta) releases, made between our
usual 6-month ones (e.g., Summer2012, Winter2013, etc..). The next
'stable' release (Winter2013) will happen in ~March. So while there
probably will be neat new features in v6_2, it may be better to wait for
another month for a release with more long-term support (as well as a
binary distribution).

> As a relative newbie - what would be the appropriate way to do a diff on
> the stack so one could see what changes have occurred since the SLAC
> workshop?  Is it best to just peek at the nitty gritty git diff on a per
> package basis via something like:
> https://dev.lsstcorp.org/cgit/LSST/DMS/afw.git/log/
> Or do a diff at the command line against a version of, say afw, that one
> might already installed?
> Or is there some top-level release notes that might give us an overview
> of new interesting modifications across packages for v6_1?

Good question! The best way I know is to look at the stack you have
installed, using with:

	eups list -t v6_1

This will list all packages with v6_1 EUPS tag, as well as their EUPS
version number, e.g.:

	afw                   6.1.1.1+1  	v6_1

The dotted-quad before the + in the version number corresponds to a git
tag, so if you go back to:

	https://dev.lsstcorp.org/cgit/LSST/DMS/afw.git/log/

you'd find it near the bottom of the page (it's on a commit made on
2012-11-12).

Alternatively (and more informatively), if you've cloned afw locally,
just run:

	git log --oneline --graph --decorate 6.1.1.1..origin/master

This will print a nice tree of all changes made since 6.1.1.1.

Probably even more informative is to just get a list of "tickets" (==
issues), that were fixed since, and then look at what those were about.
Use this snippet for that:

	git log --decorate --oneline 6.1.1.1..origin/master | \
sed -nE
's|^.*origin/tickets/([0-9]+).*$|https://dev.lsstcorp.org/trac/ticket/\1|gp'
| \
	sort -u | \
	awk '{print FNR".", $0}'

(but be careful to fix up the 'sed' line, as I think my mailer will
break it in half around "...lsstcorp.org/trac").

The above will produce a list of links to Trac tickets, e.g., in the
case of afw:

	1. https://dev.lsstcorp.org/trac/ticket/1871
	2. https://dev.lsstcorp.org/trac/ticket/2417
	3. https://dev.lsstcorp.org/trac/ticket/2462
	4. https://dev.lsstcorp.org/trac/ticket/2471
	5. https://dev.lsstcorp.org/trac/ticket/2472
	6. https://dev.lsstcorp.org/trac/ticket/2473
	7. https://dev.lsstcorp.org/trac/ticket/2474
	8. https://dev.lsstcorp.org/trac/ticket/2477
	9. https://dev.lsstcorp.org/trac/ticket/2484
	10. https://dev.lsstcorp.org/trac/ticket/2492
	11. https://dev.lsstcorp.org/trac/ticket/2495
	12. https://dev.lsstcorp.org/trac/ticket/2497
	13. https://dev.lsstcorp.org/trac/ticket/2499
	14. https://dev.lsstcorp.org/trac/ticket/2503
	15. https://dev.lsstcorp.org/trac/ticket/2504
	16. https://dev.lsstcorp.org/trac/ticket/2518
	17. https://dev.lsstcorp.org/trac/ticket/2521
	18. https://dev.lsstcorp.org/trac/ticket/2523
	19. https://dev.lsstcorp.org/trac/ticket/2568
	20. https://dev.lsstcorp.org/trac/ticket/2577

and clicking on those will tell you about the feature or issue that that
the particular ticket fixed (note: on OS-X, CMD+click will open a link
in iTerm2, and CMD+dblclick will do it in stock Terminal app (on Lion)).
There's (currently) no way to automatically turn that list into a
one-page report.

All that said, people usually don't want this level of detail, but just
a "release notes" type of a document they could quickly read. We'll
provide that for the next (stable) release.

Cheers,
--
Mario Juric,
Data Mgmt. Project Scientist, Large Synoptic Survey Telescope