[lsst-dm-stack-users] Trying out the Anaconda python with a RHEL6 installation

Mario Juric mjuric at lsst.org
Sat Feb 15 20:43:57 PST 2014

On 2/14/14, 18:34 , Chris Walter wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I spoke too soon...
>
> I don't really understand what conda is doing here but the pyfits
> below is actually the DM pyfits.
>
> You don't see it in the list unless you setup eups with something
> that needs pyfits (like pipe_tasks).  Then conda knows about it.  The
> other <pip> ones are there all the time.
>
> On my mac where I am using macports w/DM and I explicitly declared
> pyfits as 'system' this doesn't happen.  Clearly it is somehow
> related to pyfits from DM being in the python system path after it is
> setup.  Pretty mysterious...

My guess is that conda looks at what's on PYTHONPATH and interprets what
it finds as a pip-installed package ('setup pyfits' adds the path to
DM-built pyfits modules to PYTHONPATH).

Don't know about the others, though.

- M.

--
Mario Juric,
Data Mgmt. Project Scientist, Large Synoptic Survey Telescope