[lsst-dm-stack-users] problem installing sconsUtils on ubuntu 12.04

Adrian Pope apope at anl.gov
Mon Jul 21 15:10:46 PDT 2014

Hi,

I am trying to install the LSST DM v8.0 stack on workstations running ubuntu 12.04 following these instructions:

https://confluence.lsstcorp.org/display/LSWUG/Building+the+v8.0+LSST+Stack+from+Source

When I run the newinstall.sh script I choose “yes” for installing git and anaconda and the build fails at the step of installing sconsUtils. It makes no difference whether I set the env variables as described on:

https://confluence.lsstcorp.org/display/LSWUG/Known+Installation+Issues+for+v8.0

It fails identically for me on two different workstations, each running ubuntu 12.04 and admin’d by different people. I’ve included the failure signature below and attached the sconsUtils build.log. I’ve checked that I have write permission to /tmp. It sounds like others have been able to successfully install on ubuntu 12.04 so I am at a loss for what is going on. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Adrian

$ bash newinstall.sh

LSST Software Stack Builder

Detected git version 1.7.9.5.

The git version control system is frequently used with LSST software. While
the LSST stack should build and work even in the absence of git, we don't
regularly run and test it in such environments. We therefore recommend you
have at least git 1.8.4 installed, or let this script install it for you.

git installed by this installer will be managed by LSST's EUPS package manager,
and will not replace or modify any other version of git you may have installed
on your system.

Would you like us to install git for you (if unsure, say yes)? yes

In addition to Python 2.7, some LSST packages depend on recent versions of numpy,
matplotlib, and scipy. If you don't have all of these, the installation may fail.
Using the Anaconda Python distribution will ensure all these are set up.

Anaconda Python installed by this installer will be managed by LSST's EUPS
package manager, and will not replace or modify your system python.

Would you like us to install Anaconda Python distribution (if unsure, say yes)? yes

Installing EUPS (v1.3.0)...  done.
Installing git ...
  [  1/1  ]  git 1.8.5.2                                                done.
Installing Anaconda Python Distribution ...
  [  1/1  ]  anaconda 1.8.0                                             done.
Installing the basic environment ...
  [  1/5  ]  doxygen 1.8.2+2                                            done.
  [  2/5  ]  python 0.0.1 ...
             Using externally provided Python 2.7.5 :: Anaconda 1.8.0 (64-bit).
  [  2/5  ]  python 0.0.1                                               done.
  [  3/5  ]  scons 2.1.0+7                                              done.
  [  4/5  ]  sconsUtils 8.0.0.0 ...

***** error: from /home/apope/lsst/EupsBuildDir/Linux64/sconsUtils-8.0.0.0/build.log:
+ cd /home/apope/lsst/EupsBuildDir/Linux64/sconsUtils-8.0.0.0
+ tar xzvf /tmp/eups/distrib/sconsUtils_2x7nDG

gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
tar: Child returned status 1
eups distrib: Failed to build sconsUtils-8.0.0.0.eupspkg: Command:
	source /home/apope/lsst/eups/bin/setups.sh; export EUPS_PATH=/home/apope/lsst; (/home/apope/lsst/EupsBuildDir/Linux64/sconsUtils-8.0.0.0/build.sh) >> /home/apope/lsst/EupsBuildDir/Linux64/sconsUtils-8.0.0.0/build.log 2>&1 4>/home/apope/lsst/EupsBuildDir/Linux64/sconsUtils-8.0.0.0/build.msg
exited with code 2