[lsst-dm-stack-users] missing Bison etc.

Dave Monet dgm at nofs.navy.mil
Sat Jun 28 08:11:27 PDT 2014

I am trying to pour oil on troubled waters.  A simple
summary is that if script that checked for the
availability of the Prerequisites were available,
I could use the output to go to sysadm to plead my
case for him/her to install the missing utilities.

I mis-read the error dump this morning.  My guess
is that it found Bison in my $PATH because it died
after doxygen complaining about the missing g++.
Again, my apologies for missing this distinction.

I have tried install a personal version of g++,
but the ./configure script appears to ignore the
--with-mpc=, --with-mpfr=, --with-gmp= arguments
because it keeps dying when it cannot find files
from these packages despite being told where to
look for them.

I am pretty sure that I can win the battle to have
g++ and bison installed.  The source of most of my
agony, and probably not an agony shared by the
typical LSST user, is that DoD policy is to remove
all packages unless you can prove you need them.
This makes the initial configuration of my machines
extremely painful, and not just for LSST packages.

This horse appears to be mostly dead, so we don't need
to spend too much more time beating on it.  Given
the success of the DM install on a different machine,
I know that the process can work given enough
attention to sysadm things.

Jerry Kristian had a very useful lemma:
    "All systems operate on the the threshold
     of intolerability."
This is particularly true here at DoD.

-Dave